Wednesday, May 28, 2014

this and that and then some


It's been two months since I cut my relaxed ends off. Although I absolutely love my natural hair, I sometimes miss my perm. Especially when I see a girl with a fresh perm and laid edges. There is nothing like the feeling of my hair blowing in the wind after getting a perm. I'm one box perm away! I kid, I kid. What I don't appreciate about "being natural" are the character traits that people have attached to a woman who rocks her natural hair. I'm not an afro-centric bohemian chic. Going natural wasn't my path in getting to know myself. I didn't have some epiphany about who I am. I am not discounting those who did have those experiences. However, that wasn't my truth. If anything, I was a girl that clung to her perm until I got bored with my hair.  The natural experience isn't monolithic. I completely annoyed at the "she's not natural if she color's her hair" You can't be serious??!?! SO because I colored my hair, am I relaxed again??! I just don't get it.

Need I remind you all I saw Beyonce live in concert. Beyonce and I were in the same room. We all know I love me some Beyonce. But who I'm really here for is miss Blue Ivy Carter. She always looks so unimpressed and it makes my heart smile. Its a look I'm determined to master. The concert was amazing! There are a few of my friends who aren't fans of Bey. Needless to say, our friendships are on the line. I think that I connect with her music at every stage. I am able to somehow relate to her music. I can't really put it into words. I can listen to her music and my mood changes instantly. She really is G.O.A.T ;-)

I was talking to my friend last night about how much time has passed since we graduated from undergrad. It's amazing to see how far we've come. Its crazy to think about the people who were in my life 3-4 years ago who aren't there anymore. Who would've thought I would be living in a different city?

No comments:

Post a Comment