Sunday, January 27, 2013

RANDOM.RANT.

*this rant comes from random conversations and happenings with classmates/friends
I'm so sick of people calling Rihanna and Kim Kardashian whores. These people are the ones who say they don't care about celebrities and are the first to blast their opinions on the topic. I'm sick of people making a connection between liking Chris Brown's music and agreeing with physical abuse. GIVE ME A BREAK. SERIOUSLY. Let's be honest, I'm not even sure who still likes his music. I have her albums because I wanted to see if I liked her music. I was only mildly impressed. But as for their personal lives, quite frankly I'm done talking and hearing about Chrianna and that other girl, Kalabasas. Bless them all.

I really enjoy HBO's GIRLS! Yes its an all White cast. Yes their experiences don't match my own. But I find the show hilarious. The criticism that there should be a Black character is absolutely absurd. I don't remember this need for Black actors and realism on television when Friends was on the air. Or Sex and the City. The Golden Girls. Will and Grace (these were great shows btw!). Give me a break. Lena Dunham is writing from her experiences. Here's a thought: Perhaps these experiences don't involve Black people. Her show is a Hodge podge collection of her life experiences. The show doesn't speak to my life nor is it THE voice of my generation. It's a slice of someone's life. The characters and the writing are witty, interesting, and well developed. I'm sure White America isn't sitting at home thinking "Why aren't there any White women on Love and Hip Hop?" She's writing about what she knows and that doesn't necessarily involve Black people. Instead of ignoring her critics, she chooses Donald Glover to be her boyfriend in the new season. Although, I enjoyed their final scenes together because it did shed light on her ignorance. I didn't think it was a necessary storyline.

I look forward to my Thursday nights! Scandal is what I love. I am so sick of Black men and their issue with Olivia's affair with the President. According to them, when women watch this show we are agreeing with infidelity. I can't speak for all women. But this woman watches Scandal because it is a well written show with depth, romance, action, and suspense. Olivia is a fixer and on the surface she's perfect. But in actuality she's a woman in love with a married man who is also the leader of the free world. Girl what?! My bestie S*, thinks that is the real issue for these Black men on the blogs and on twitter. I do agree. A lot of black men don't like interracial dating ( I personally have male friends who would never date a white woman). So to have it on your television every week, so unapologetically, must be a bit jarring.*shrugs*  I enjoy the show and all of its entangling story lines. However, I do think the focus to the affair is annoying now. I want Olivia to be back in her office and solving people's crises.

I hung out with my classmates this Friday! The pharmacy fraternity had their first party of the semester. It was your usual frat party. Jungle juice made with God knows what, beer pong, and inconsistent music. As I'm saying my hellos, one of my classmates/new friend comes up to me and refers to herself as my white nigga. GIRL WHAT?! I just looked at her and asked her to repeat what she had said because I was sure I had misunderstood her. She repeats it and then goes on to say, "Oh I thought I could it as long as it ends with -a not the -er!" GIRL WHAT? I told her around me she could say neither and walked away. Was I surprised? Not really. I had always had a feeling she would say something ignorant to me but it still shook me. I told my other Black classmates. They all said that this wasn't surprising because her upbringing wasn't that diverse. So because of that I should excuse this behavior? Give me a break. She is a really sweet girl but ignorance will not be tolerated. Trust and believe this will be brought up tomorrow during our break. I'm sure there will be tears but I won't be moved.

I'm still not quite sure why white people still want to touch our hair. Get your hands off of me. I am not an animal.

There is a part of me that is always aware of not being that angry Black woman. I must tell you its exhausting at times. Honestly,I think people confuse having an opinion with being angry. I'm not angry. Actually far from it. I'm just a Black girl with an opinion who will voice it at every turn. I think sometimes I get caught up in other people's shortcomings(other people's idea of how I should act/react) that I end up selling myself short. See what I did there?At the end of the day, I can only be me.


*ENDS RANT*

No comments:

Post a Comment