Tuesday, January 15, 2013

olde columbus town.

I'm back like I never left. Five weeks well spent in the great state of Ohio. This past weekend I visited my alma mater. I was so excited to be back on my old stomping grounds. A familiar place with familiar faces. I saw people that I desperately wanted to see(next time we will link up K*!!!) and others I could've done without. I saw one guy who a few years ago broke me into what I believed were damaged goods. I saw him. Starred him in the face. Watched him, watch me. All the pieces of me were intact. I didn't catch my breath. I continued my conversation as he did a double take. In that moment, I really realized time heals wounds.It was only a few years ago that he came into my world and turned it upside. I don't think I will ever forget what happened. I don't think the details will ever get fuzzy. But he no longer has control over me and what a feeling that is. Anywho, I went to karaoke with the bestie. I'm not really here for karaoke. Not that it isn't a good time but it's just not my thing. Please believe, I tried my darnedest not to go. I'm pretty sure she picked me up for dinner with the intention of kidnapping and taking me to this karaoke bar. I whined and resisted. Bless her for wearing me down. Lol. But it ended up being a fun time ;-) I went to dinner with coworkers and another bestie was there too. FATE is real because we had already made up in our minds that we wouldn't be able to see each other. I went to Arena and hit up my old hot spots. Same bars, same people. People kept saying, "OMG, I haven't seen you in a while" o___________________O Having to say over and over "I no longer live here" got old real quick. I'm not one for pleasantries with people I'm no longer friends with or never was friends with in the first place. It's not that I didn't want to see people but at what point in life do people stop with these phony conversations. Girl you don't care about what I'm doing in Philly and I don't care to tell you. I spoke with some old guy friends. It was nice to see them but I kept those conversations short and sweet. We exchanged a few details and that was that. We're no longer in that 2009 moment of our friendship.I think the conversations that occurred with them and a few others were just enough. Although I miss the familiarity, I'm so glad that I was able to move and experience something new. I think I reached my social capacity. In the sense that I'm not really sure what newness would've developed had I had the opportunity to stay. Moving to Philly allowed me to become nostalgic about olde Columbus town. It allowed me to look forward to coming back and visiting friends that have set up their adult lives there. It allowed me to really understand that I became an adult there. That is the place where all of my collegiate growing pains occurred. So much of who I am is because of that city. To come back and for it to feel the same and feel different all at the same time......I can't really put it into anymore words.

No comments:

Post a Comment